Jordan says in no hurry to welcome back Israeli ambassador

The Gaza Post|The News of Palestine-Jordan

Senior official says Jordan wants to ensure legal steps are being pursued against Israeli embassy guard involved in deadly shooting .

Netanyahu’s behavior “is damaging to bilateral relations and the regional acceptance Israel is seeking,” official says.

A senior government official in Jordan said over the weekend that the Hashemite kingdom has told Israel to “hold on” when asked to allow its ambassador to return to the country, signaling continued tensions over a deadly shooting by an Israeli Embassy guard last month.

The official said Jordan wants to ensure legal steps against the security guard are being pursued before Jordan welcomes Israel’s ambassador back in Amman.

The guard, Ziv Moyal, was attacked with a screwdriver during an argument at the embassy compound last month and subsequently shot and killed two Jordanians. Despite the objection of the Jordanian authorities, the embassy staff returned to Israel a day later under a compromise agreement.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu gave the guard a warm welcome, infuriating Jordan.

The Jordanian official told The Associated Press on Friday that Netanyahu’s behavior “is damaging to bilateral relations and the regional acceptance Israel is seeking.”

The official insisted on anonymity, saying on-the-record comments would spark more tensions.

Earlier this month, Israel’s Justice Ministry announced that the Israel Police would review the case, at the advice of the attorney general. The investigation will be supervised by the State Attorney’s Office, which will weigh the option of asking Jordanian authorities to transfer more relevant materials to police based on the police findings.

Last month’s deadly shooting came as Jordan was engaged in behind-the-scenes negotiations to end tensions surrounding security measures on the Temple Mount. Muslims clashed with Israeli security forces after metal detectors were installed at the entrance to the site. These security measures were put in place after terrorists murdered two Israeli police officers at Al-Aqsa mosque on July 14.

Source:Israel Hayom

You might also like More from author

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.